I own this radio myself and while it can be tricky to program without software, this is my favorite HT because of it’s size, features, and cost. I recommend at least one for all Hams.
- 25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable
- Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25KHz
- Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-480MHz
- 128 Channels 50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS
- Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
- Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 6.5 x 3.7 inches ; 1.2 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 1.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
- ASIN: B007H4VT7A
- Item model number: UV5R
- Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
- Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (805 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
- #6 in Electronics > Car Electronics > Two-Way Radios
- Date first available at Amazon.com: March 5, 2012
The Baofeng UV-5R
The Baofeng UV-5R is a compact hand held transceiver providing 4 watts in the frequency range of 136-174 MHz and 400-480 MHz. It is a compact, economical HT that includes a special VHF receive band from 65 – 108 MHz which includes the regular FM broadcast band. Dual watch and dual reception is supported. You get up to 128 memories. Other features include: selectable wide/narrow, battery save function, VOX, DCS/CTCSS encode, key lock and built in flashlight. Selectable frequency steps include: 2.5, 5, 6.25, 10, 12.5 and 25 kHz. RF power may be selected at 4 or 1 watts. This radio comes with ANT5 SMA-J flexible antenna, BL-5 Li-ion battery (7.4V 1800 mAh), belt clip, wrist strap, AC adapter (8.4V 600ma) and drop-in charging tray. This radio requires purchase of the USB-02 programming cable and downloading of software prior to use.